What are the ‘life changing’ events leading to obesity?
People gain weight due to a number of reasons. They eat more and exercise less. Most health care professionals would say the same. In fact cause for obesity is much more complex. Why do people eat more and exercise less even though they know that it is not good for them. Most people are intelligent and do understand they have to eat less and exercise more, but can’t do that.
So, what is making them feel hungry? Why do they not involve in more physical activity? Knowing very well that they could develop diabetes, cancer and other obesity related illness.
Number of life changing events upsets their habits, eating pattern and metabolism. People who have started to gain weight later in their life have usually a major life changing event which triggered their weight gain. Occasionally changes may happen while you are in the womb. Some of the important life changing events are shown below:
- Malnutrition inside womb
- Underweight baby
- Sexual abuse
- Separation of parents
- Bullying at school
- Dieting by family members
- Road traffic accidents
- Long period of immobility due to illness or redundancy
- Change to a sedentary and /or stressful job
- Postnatal depression(Depression after pregnancy)
- Migration to more affluent countries
- Working in shifts
- Diagnosis and treatment of some medical conditions. For more details click here to watch this video.
You may not be able to do a lot to what has happened in the past, but the awareness of these events may be a start to your success.